Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Street ball is all about freedom. That's the one thing you need, to show your God-given ability/freedom. All a street player needs is a green light.


Aside from nba organized basketball, I originally fell in love with streetball . I loved the crossovers, in your face handles, moves, acrobatic dunks, no look passes, all that creativity and was what actually made me enjoy basketball. It surprised me even more when I found out a former And1 player, Rafer Alston, a streetball legend from Queens, NYC was from my hs, Benjamin N Cardozo. He even made it to the NBA which was even cooler. Plus, he played PG, so I loved all those handles and would try endlessly to imitate those moves. The confidence ball handlers demonstrate is amazing; in your face, never say die, fearless this and that, is incredible. He was traded to the Magic but had a decent run with HOU. When he played for And1, I don't think I even watched basketball. But watching those tapes on ESPN was exciting as ever. I also enjoyed guys like Philip Champion, "Hot Sauce" and Alimoe from And1, although I know And1 has changed and players have come and gone and its destroying the game because kids just want to do all the flash and hype of the game and not learn fundamentals, teamwork, etc. Regardless, streetball hypes me up whenever I see the ridiculous crossovers, behind the backs, etc. and I know I wanna do those too. Most importantly, its fun. Just enjoy yourself.

Skip to My Lou, Rafer Alston's NBA journey


NYC Basketball


Words from Alimoe


Original And1 Mixtape Volume 1


Skip to My Lou


Hot Sauce Mix



Streetball is entertaining and fun but lets not forget the only way these guys were good at what they did was practice. Ball handling is essential; taking care of the ball is instrumental to the game and if you can't handle the ball, you can't move on to anything else. Ganon Baker instructs us on some excellent ball handling drills. None of those tricks and flash are worthwhile if you can't handle the ball at all!





































No comments:

Post a Comment